Welcome to Domestically Creative! I am so happy you’re here!
If you are a new reader; welcome! I hope you find exactly what you are looking for, and then some. Be sure to subscribe to my weekly newsletters so you can stay connected and get subscriber only freebies!
If you have been reading for awhile; thank you! Without you, this blog wouldn’t be what it is today!
Who am I?
My name is Amanda and I am the voice behind Domestically Creative! Currently I reside in the Kansas City Missouri area with my husband, two cats and 8 year old lab named Delilah. In our limited free time together my husband and I love to travel and camp with our dog. We have moved several times in the last 10 years, having lived in Illinois, Tennessee, Texas, and Missouri. We are always up for an adventure, but are happy to finally put down roots in our new city.
I have a bachelor’s degree in Interior and Environmental Design, but for the last 8 years I’ve actually worked in the Veterinary field. Interior Design is still one of my passions and I share a little bit of it here. I also love to bake (more so than cook, although I don’t mind that either) and create in general. You can usually find me with either a paint brush, mixer, or pen and paper in hand, dreaming up something new.
This blog has evolved so much since I first launched in December 2013. My husband and I had just moved to a new city and state, several hours drive away from all of our friends and family. While it wasn’t our first move to a new state, it was so hard on both of us. This blog was my way of staying connected with so many people “back home” and letting them know what we were up to. Since then, it has evolved into so much more than that. It’s a space where I can share my creativity, design skills and helpful tips with so many wonderful people; wives, husbands, moms, dads, millennials, and just someone who needs a little push to help make the place they live in feel more like a home.
This year my husband and I decided that I would make Domestically Creative a real full-time business, so I work from home on this blog and my recently launched Etsy shop. I hope you love what you see and will stick around to see what I’m creating next!
Be sure to subscribe below to get all of the new posts and subscriber only freebies delivered directly to your inbox!
Random Facts About Me:
- I have the “I can make it myself” disease. I’m always seeing something in the stores that I think to myself “I could make that”.
- I have a photographic memory. I can literally memorize what a page in a book looks like and read the information there. I use this a lot when I read maps too.
- I had braces for 2 years like a normal teenager, but I also had a Herbst appliance for a year to correct my lower jaw (it was set too far back and caused issues). To fix this, they over corrected my bite, so I walked around like a piranha for about 6 months. Because Jr. High wasn’t embarrassing enough.
- I am extremely shy and introverted when I first meet people, but once I know you, I’m told I am borderline annoying.
- My husband and I have lived in 4 states, 8 homes and bought/sold 2 houses in the last 10 years. No, we are not a military family, just gluttons for punishment.
- I’m a classic rock girl all the way. Give me some CCR, The Eagles, Led Zepplin, The Who any day.
- But I also love alternative and indie rock–I’m looking at you Alt-J, Glass Animals, and Brand New
- I can put on mascara without blinking or having my mouth gaping wide open. Yes, I felt like this was worth mentioning!
- I grew up in a town of less than 400, went to a school that was 3 towns combined and still had less than 50 students in my graduating class.
Things I love:
- My puppy dog. Seriously she is the best.
- Camping–although with our new travel trailer some would call it glamping
- Antiques of all kind, but especially kitchen gadgets, dishes and crocks. Hello Pyrex obsession.
- My Happy Planners–yes I have more than one
- Writing to-do lists.
- Writing to-do lists with Papermate Flair Felt tip pens. (you should try them!)
- Hand lettering all.the.things
- The smell of freshly cut wood
- Baking any kind of yummy dessert
- Low rolling hills for miles and miles
Some of my favorite posts:
What can you expect to find at Domestically Creative?
“Making a home one creation at a time” What does that involve you ask? Well, anything from meal planning, to making your own DIY headboard, to decorating with wooden crates. Creating a home you love doesn’t have to be hard, or cost a ton of money.
I love to cook and bake especially, but I also love trying to create a beautiful and functional space without spending a ton of money. Yummy recipes, easy crafts, simple DIYs and inexpensive home decor are my passions! I also share monthly meal plans, organizing tips, and throw in a few posts about my spoiled pup named Delilah every so often.
So pull up a chair, grab your favorite drink and dive in!