Growing up, my mom always made sure we had some kind of cake for any sort of celebration. Whether it be for our birthdays, Christmas, cookouts, or just family gatherings. Made from a box mix, made from scratch, or bought from the store, she never disappointed. Anytime it was my turn to choose–usually for my birthday–I would choose an ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins.
Really though, what better way to combine cake and ice cream, than to just stack the two right on top of each other?
The only downside?
Those cakes are SO expensive. Especially when you decide you must have ice cream cake, but there is absolutely no reason to celebrate and justify that price tag. I’m pretty sure celebrating the first tomato of the season isn’t good enough reason to drop over $25 on something I really don’t need to eat anyway.
So instead, I thought I would try to make my own.
And guess what?
It was SO easy!
And the best part?
You can customize to your little heart’s desire.
I just so happened to have a white cake mix already on hand, and decided cake batter ice cream would go great with it. You could also choose a red velvet cake with cookie dough ice cream.
Dark chocolate cake with peanut butter cup ice cream.
Strawberry cake with french vanilla ice cream.
You get the picture.
Easy Ice Cream Cake
- 1 box cake mix of choice
- Ingredients to prepare cake oil, eggs, etc
- 1 carton of ice cream
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Toppings of choice sprinkles, chocolate sauce, caramel
- Prepare cake mix as directed and cool for 30 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan and put in freezer for 1 hour.
- Set out carton of ice cream to thaw for 30 minutes
- Once ice cream is thawed, remove cake from freezer and top with ice cream.
- Place cake back in freezer for 1 hour or until ice cream is frozen again.
- While cake is in freezer, pour whipping cream, vanilla, and sugar in bowl of stand mixture.
- Whip until stiff peaks form
- Take cake out of freezer and top with whipped cream.
- Cover and freeze for 1 hour before serving.
More frozen treats to enjoy: