I absolutely LOVE yellow curry and order it
just about every single time we go out for Thai food. Something about the sweet flavor of the coconut milk perfectly blended with the subtle heat of the curry just makes my taste buds go CRAZY.
Of course we don’t exactly go for Thai food on a regular basis, so I had to learn to make it at home. I had tried a recipe originally that I got from Pinterest, that I wasn’t too crazy about. So then I tried buying the Thai Kitchen Yellow Curry Simmer Sauce and cooked my chicken and veggies in that. It was alright, but still not quite the same. So, before our move, the husband and I visited an Asian food store and found my secret weapon…
Now the recipe I have adapted from the recipe on the Yellow Curry Paste container–how convenient of them to provide!
Anyway, start by chopping up your onion into thick cuts. Then dice up about 2-3 carrots depending on the size and 3 potatoes. You could even throw in some frozen peas for something “green”
Throw your Yellow Curry Paste and Olive Oil into a large pot and saute it.
Once that is all mixed up you will want to add in about 1/2 of your can of coconut milk.
* With coconut milk you need to make sure it is all mixed up. Sometimes the milk will separate and needs to be whisked back to milk like consistency.
See how it is all lumpy in this picture?
Once you have mixed it, add 1/2 can into your pot with the yellow curry paste and oil
And whisk it up until completely mixed
Sorry for such terrible pictures! The lighting in my kitchen is terrible and you can only do so well taking photos with an Iphone 😉
Add in your veggies, the other 1/2 of your coconut milk and chicken broth and mix well
Add in cooked chicken and simmer for a few more minutes or until sauce thickens.
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Yellow Curry Paste If you like a mild curry you may want to reduce this amount
- 1 can 13.5 oz Coconut Milk Make sure to mix it completely before use
- 1 cup Cooked Shredded Chicken
- 1/2 cup Chicken Broth or Water
- 1 cup Chopped Carrots
- 1 cup Peeled and Cubed Potatoes
- 1/2 Medium Onion
- 2 cups Steamed white rice
- Saute the Yellow Curry Paste in Olive Oil until combined
- Add in 1/2 cup of Coconut Milk and whisk until mixed
- Add in the carrots, potatoes and onion and stir well.
- Mix the remaining coconut milk in along with the chicken broth.
- Bring the contents to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until veggies are completely cooked--about 15-20 minutes depending on carrot size.
- Add in the shredded chicken and let simmer on low until sauce thickens, or about 5 minutes
- Serve with steamed white or jasmine rice.