This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. Read our disclosure policy.
Raise your hand if you are a sucker for mashed potatoes!
There is just something so homey and comforting about a big bowl of creamy, buttery, mashed potatoes–especially around the holidays.
As much as I love any type of mashed potatoes, this loaded mashed potato casserole really takes the cake. It’s so packed full of buttery, cheesy, bacon-y goodness that no one can turn this dish down.
With Thanksgiving less than a week away, this is the perfect opportunity to really take your mashed potato dish to the next level. Your family will be talking about this loaded mashed potato casserole for years to come! You COULD even make these the night before, and just throw them in the oven right before you carve the turkey. Who doesn’t love a make ahead side dish when it comes to Thanksgiving?
Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
- 4 lbs russet potatoes , peeled and cubed
- 7 strips bacon
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh chives , chopped
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and bring 4 quarts water to a boil.
- Boil cubed potatoes until soft, drain off water when finished.
- White potatoes are boiling, cook bacon in oven at 350 degrees until crispy. Remove from oven and absorb extra grease with a paper towel. Crumble and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add cooked potatoes, cream cheese, butter, and seasonings. Beat together until creamy. Stir in 1 tbsp chives, 1 cup cheese and half of bacon crumbles.
- In a 9x13 baking dish, spoon in mashed potatoes and spread out until top is even. Top with remaining cheese, chives and bacon crumbles.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbling.