Have you looked closely at your oven lately? Is it need of a good scrubbing? Do you hate using store bought oven cleaner, or smelling that burning smell when you use the self clean option? Here’s an easy tutorial on how to clean your oven using 3 simple household ingredients.
I’ll be honest with you, I’m not one to pay attention to my oven when I am baking something. It’s not because I don’t care, it’s just not something I really think about.
With that being said, the other day I happened to get a good look at my oven and man was it bad! Now, before you get your judge on, let me tell you that this is a rental house. That means I cannot be held responsible for the neglect this poor oven has endured.
How to Clean Your Oven:
What you’ll need:
2 tbsp Baking Soda *
1 tsp Dish Soap *
- Take everything out of the oven and off the stove (oven racks, knobs, grates etc) and soak them in HOT water with 1 cup white distilled vinegar. I soaked them all in my bathtub because oven racks just don’t fit in the sink. Let them soak while you finish the next steps.
- Combine the baking soda and dish soap in a small bowl. SLOWLY add vinegar to the mixture until it forms a paste. (Be sure to really go slow, or you will have a 3rd grade science project volcano on your hands–and your counter, sink, floor)
- Using a scrub sponge and an old toothbrush, start scrubbing away at the stove top and outside of the oven. Save the inside for last because it will be the dirtiest part.
- Scrub the inside of the oven with the paste and sponge. Magic erasers also help get rid of the “sweat rust” that tends to live on the inside of the glass.
- Once everything is scrubbed down, wipe it clean with an old rag soaked in warm water until there is no soapy residue left. I kept a bucket of warm water next to me while I did this to minimize my trips to the sink.
- Next, clean the soaking oven racks, grates and knobs. The grease should easily wipe off after soaking in the vinegar and water.
- Last, put everything back together!
Isn’t it SO much better? All it took was a little elbow grease and few things everyone has around the house. The next renters are going to hit the jackpot with a clean oven!