This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. Read our disclosure policy.
This creamy tomato basil parmesan soup is a great way to warm up on a cold day, but versatile enough to eat in the summer time to use up all of those fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden
I came across this recipe for Creamy Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup a few years ago in a magazine. I don’t even remember which magazine it was, I just tore it out and stuck it in a recipes binder. I’ve made this soup a few times, and it is always so good, so creamy, and so filling. It really is pretty easy to make too, and you can adapt it to cook in the Crock Pot.
My favorite way to make this soup is by using fresh from the garden tomatoes and herbs, but since it’s the middle of winter, I settled for canned tomatoes, and dried herbs. You can use whatever you have on hand.
I like to make this on the stove top for the ease of it, but you can adapt it for the Crock Pot too. Just made the butter/flour roux and add to your Crock Pot about 20 minutes before serving.
Of course, the best part of this soup is the companion grilled cheese sandwich. Because you can’t have a good tomato soup without that cheesy buttery sandwich to go with it!
What are your favorite soups to make?
Creamy Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrots
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 3 cups diced tomatoes , or 2 cans with juices
- 1 tsp dried oregano or 1 tbsp fresh
- 1 tbsp dried basil or 4 tbsp fresh
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups whole milk or half and half , warmed.
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup parmesan
- In a large soup pot, heat oil on medium high heat. Add celery, onion, and carrots. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add basil, oregano, tomatoes, and chicken broth. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until carrots and celery are tender (about 15 minutes)
- While mixture is simmering, melt butter over low heat in a separate pot.
- Whisk in flour, and cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes until golden.
- SLOWLY add in 1 cup of milk, and whisk until smooth.
- Add in other cup of milk and mix until smooth.
- Add mixture into soup pot, simmer, stirring constantly, until soup thickens (about 2 minutes).
- Whisk in salt, pepper and Parmesan until well blended.
- Let soup simmer on low heat, covered, for 15-20 minutes.