Thick chewy crust, melted cheese and hearty sauce is what this deep dish skillet pizza is all about. Ditch ordering out, and make this your family’s new pizza night tradition.
My husband and I enjoy our pizza Friday’s. What started as a way to curb our desire for easy takeout, slowly turned into a family tradition and we are always looking for new ways to top our last creation.
Growing up in Illinois, we were no stranger to deep dish Chicago style pizzas. You know the kind that builds the pizza “backwards”-cheese first, then toppings, then thick, hearty, tomato-y sauce. If you’ve never had a true deep dish pizza, you are truly doing yourself a disservice.
That’s how the idea of this deep dish skillet pizza was born. Baking it in a cast iron pan not only gives me the depth to get that deep dish style, but also gives the crust a crunchy yet chewy texture. I call it perfection.
This pizza not only gives you that great deep dish flair but is also an EASY weeknight meal to make. If you use a store bought crust then there’s not much prep involved as a true deep dish pizza, but there is just as much cheesy, deep dish pizza goodness to enjoy. Plus, with the shorter prep time you have more time to make new memories and traditions with your family!
For my deep dish skillet pizza, I used RAGÚ® Homestyle Sauce. I grew up with RAGÚ® being THE brand of pasta sauce my mom used and now that I’m the one in charge, it’s the only sauce I use. With fresh ingredients and no artificial flavors, it’s no wonder RAGÚ® has been around for 80 years!
To assemble your deep dish skillet pizza, press the pizza dough into a well greased cast iron pan and set aside. I like to make my own homemade dough in my bread machine.
Next comes the sauce. Start by browning some Italian Sausage and sauteing green peppers, onion and garlic. Then add your favorite RAGÚ® Homestyle Sauce. I love using the RAGÚ® Homestyle Thick & Hearty Four Cheese Sauce. Add the sauce mixture to your pizza crust.
Top with pepperoni, extra onion and green pepper slices, or your favorite pizza topping.
Bake it up to golden, pizza perfection, slice and enjoy!
What kind of traditions does your family have?? I’d love to hear all about them in the comments below.
To learn more about RAGÚ® Homestyle Sauces and discover more recipes for the family visit them here.
- 2.5 inch deep cast iron pan, , or another deep pan that is oven safe up to 450 degrees
- 1/2 homemade pizza dough recipe, (or 1 whole store bought)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, , diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, , diced
- 1 clove garlic, , minced
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage
- Approx. 1/2 Jar RAGÚ® Homestyle Thick & Hearty Four Cheese Sauce
- 2 cups Shredded cheese
- 5 slices Havarti cheese, (optional)
- Pepperoni Slices
- Preheat oven to 425 and grease a deep cast iron pan.
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper, garlic and Italian sausage and cook until sausage is no longer pink. Spoon out excess grease.
- Turn heat to medium low and add in approximately 1/2 jar RAGÚ® Homestyle Thick & Hearty Four Cheese Sauce. Simmer on low for 5 minutes.
- Press pizza dough into Cast Iron pan being sure to go all the way up the sides.
- Pour sauce mixture on top of pizza crust.
- Top sauce with sliced Havarti cheese, then shredded cheese. Add pepperoni slices and any extra desired toppings.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until crust is golden and cheese is completely melted.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g