This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. Read our disclosure policy.
I made this awesome Broccoli Cheese soup last weekend that was so cheesy and so creamy, I had to share it with you. I know I’ve really been on a soup kick lately, posting my loaded potato soup and creamy tomato basil soup, but hey, what’s one more soup recipe among friends?
I love how easy this recipe is to put together. The only “work” that really goes into it, is chopping the onion and broccoli. Other than that, you just measure out your milk and cream, and let the soup simmer.
What really made this recipe was using an extra sharp white cheddar. Since cutting out processed foods in June, we have only been using blocks of cheese and grating our own. Also, we have only been buying white cheddar, since your typical cheddar has artificial coloring in it to make it that orange color everyone. For this recipe, we used Tillamook brand, extra extra sharp white cheddar. YUM!
If you like your broccoli cheese soup chunky, you can skip the puree-ing part, but I personally do not like taking a big spoonful of broccoli. I like the flavor, but don’t care for the texture.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 small onion , finely diced
- 1 cup finely diced carrots
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 cups broccoli , chopped
- 1 tsp nutmeng
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups sharp white cheddar
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk to combine. Cook about 1 minute more, until golden.
- Slowly pour in chicken broth and mix well until incorporated.
- Pour in milk and half and half, add nutmeg, broccoli and salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25-30 minutes until broccoli is tender.
- Either smash broccoli with a potato masher, or puree soup in a blender until desired consistency is reached.
- Stir in cheese and combine.
- If soup thickens too much you can thin with some chicken broth or water.