A moist and flavorful pumpkin cake topped with cream cheese filling and rolled into a spiral. Perfect treat to enjoy on a crisp Fall day with a warm mug of coffee!
This week I am sharing a recipe that is new to my repertoire called a Pumpkin Cake Roll. I’m sure you all know those Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls right? The kind that are in the shape of a log, and have a white creamy frosting rolled up in a spiral inside? Well, this cake is similar to that, except WAY better. Not only is it pumpkin, which is awesome in itself, but it has a layer of cream cheese filling rolled up inside. sign.me.up.
I’ve never actually made a cake roll before, but I have seen them done many many times. They are always so pretty so I wanted to try. It was much easier to make this pumpkin cake roll than I originally anticipated.
First start by making a thin pumpkin cake. Really thin. So thin, I was afraid it might burn. But it turned out great. No fire extinguisher needed for this recipe. Then while it’s still warm, lay the thin cake in a towel and roll it up. The reason you do this while it’s still warm is so that it will hold a shape once you un roll it.
Using a flour sack towel was genius! The cake could breathe well, and therefore it cooled faster. Which meant I could devour it that much sooner! When the pumpkin cake is rolled up, you’ll have something that looks like this.
Once the pumpkin cake roll has cooled off some, roll it back out flat. Spread the yummy cream cheese frosting on top. Don’t be stingy! Since the cake was rolled up when it was still warm, it will retain the rolled up shape, and will roll back up easily.
When the cake is rolled back up, take a knife and trim the edge pieces off. This will finish off the beautiful pumpkin cake roll, and will give you a few pieces for tasting. You have to make sure it’s edible right?
Tips for making a beautiful Pumpkin Cake Roll
- Spread the cake mixture very thin, using a 1″ high baking sheet. It’s often referred to as a jelly roll pan.
- Roll it up in a thin towel to help the cake cool off faster.
- Definitely roll it up while it’s still warm, but be careful not to burn yourself! This will help the cake roll retain it’s shape later.
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Sweet Cream Icing
- Easy Pumpkin Pie Poke Cake
- Low Carb Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- Pumpkin Spice Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
Don’t forget to pin it!
For the Cake
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree, (not pie filling)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts, (optional)
- Powdered sugar
For the filling
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a 15"x10"x1" jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, salt and nutmeg. Set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, beat room temperature eggs on high speed for about 5 minutes, or until thick and lemon colored.
- Gradually beat in sugar. Stir in pumpkin and lemon juice. Fold in flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Spread batter out onto prepared pan and sprinkle top with walnuts.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Immediately turn out cake onto a thin towel sprinkled lightly with powdered sugar.
- Remove wax paper and roll towel and cake into a spiral while still warm. Let cool completely.
For the Filling
- Beat softened cream cheese, butter and vanilla together in a medium bowl until creamy.
- Gradually mix in powdered sugar until smooth.
- Unroll cake in the towel after it's cooled, and spread cream cheese filling on top.
- Roll the cake back up without the towel. Trim the edges with a knife for a clean, straight edge.
- Cover pumpkin cake roll and chill for 2 hours before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 322Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 7gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 84mgSodium 213mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 1gSugar 28gProtein 5g