I have such an easy project for you today to help you put your patriotism on display this year for July 4th–a Stars and Strips Door Hanger.
When I was at Michael’s the other day, not only did I pick up those decorative linen art canvases, but I also stumbled across a line of white washed wooden plaques. I was immediately drawn to their star shape and was soon struck with the perfect idea of what I could make them into.
I love having something hanging from my front door each season, even if the rest of my house goes un-decorated. At least those who drive by are tricked into thinking I’ve got my stuff together when it comes to holiday decorating.
Shhh..it can be our little secret!
The stars and stripes door hanger is replacing my succulent wreath–for now. I will probably put my succulents back on display after the holiday because I just cannot get enough of them #obsessed
And I’m not ashamed to admit it.
The following tutorial includes affiliate links to products used for this project. Purchasing an item from a link in this post helps keep this blog running at no additional cost to you! And don’t worry; I only recommend products I have personally used and loved. You can read my full disclosure policy here for more information.
How to Make a Stars and Stripes Door Hanger
Supplies you’ll need:
- Start by painting each plaque in a red, white and blue pattern. I chose to do alternating patterns on mine, but paint however you would like.
- While those are drying, print out “Let Freedom Ring” in a pretty script font. I used Gracias from Creative Market. Cut out each word so they will fit across each plaque.
- Using a pencil, shade all over the back of the paper with the printed words.
- Once the paint is completely dry, tape the words face up (shaded side down) onto each plaque. Using the pencil and a good amount of pressure, trace over the outline of the letters to transfer to the plaques.
- Using a fine tip paint brush, paint over the transferred outlines. This definitely requires a steady hand. If you don’t feel up to the challenge, try using a black paint marker instead.
- After everything is dry, lightly sand over the plaque using 220 grit paper, going with the grain of the wood to give a distressed look.
- Using the staple gun, staple the stars together using the twine hangers. See the photo below.
And there you have it! A beautiful stars and stripes door hanger that you can display your patriotism with.
I am really happy with how these turned out and with how easy of a project it really was.
Don’t forget to pin it!
More red, white and blue for you!