Sweet and creamy pumpkin cream cheese frosting over top of perfectly moist and fluffy vanilla cupcakes makes a deliciously satisfying Fall dessert.
Perfect Vanilla cupcakes with pumpkin cream cheese frosting—say that 5 times fast!
I will admit, I had grand plans for these cupcakes, but like many of my grand plans they didn’t turn out quite like I had hoped. I was originally planning to do a creamy caramel center, but instead of creamy the caramel turned into hard candy. Then I thought maybe I would do a whipped cream center. Nope, those just failed–more miserably than the caramel. So instead, I bring you plain vanilla cupcakes with a pumpkin cream cheese frosting. I added sprinkles though, so that makes them pretty special!
Easy Vanilla Cupcakes
The original recipe for the vanilla cupcakes comes from Tide and Thyme. Check out some of her awesome recipes, and drool over her photos like I did. Am I the only one who does this? Anyway, back to the cupcakes.
The batter was amazing on these cupcakes! It does take a little bit of work (made easier if you have a stand mixer) but it is well worth it. AND it makes a ton of cupcakes. I actually ran out of liners for mine so I made a few big cupcakes with some large muffin tins I bought awhile back.
There is a lot of mixing involved, and when finished, the batter should be very full and airy. The idea is to whip extra air into the batter, which in turn makes the cupcakes fuller, moist and not so dense. Bake the vanilla cupcakes just like any cupcake, for about 18 minutes.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting
For the cream cheese frosting, start by beating the cream cheese and cream until it resembles a slightly “whipped” consistency. I think this is important because some cream cheese frostings can sort of “melt” after frosting. This one tends to stay put.
Next add in the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and powdered sugar. If you feel like your frosting has gotten too thick, add a dash of milk or a little more cream. If you feel like the frosting isn’t thick enough, add some more powdered sugar. Sometimes frostings are more of a trial and error.
Assembling the Vanilla Cupcakes with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting
A simple frosting tip and bag will do just fine for frosting. I have this set specifically, but you could also use a plastic baggie and cut a corner off instead of using a frosting bag. If you don’t feel like fussing with a frosting tip, then simply use a knife and slather the vanilla cupcakes with yummy pumpkin cream cheese frosting and call it a day! Add sprinkles if desired. Store the cupcakes in the fridge to keep the cream cheese frosting chilled.
More delicious Fall desserts:
- Pumpkin Pie Poke Cake
- Buttery Apple Crisp
- Low Carb Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- Easy Caramel Apple Bundt Cake
Don’t forget to pin it
- 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat Oven to 350, and line 24 cupcake tins
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter until smooth and creamy. Add in sugar and beat for 2 minutes. Scrape sides and beat 1 more minute.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating and scraping sides of bowl after each.
- In a large measuring cup, combine buttermilk and vanilla.
- With mixer on low speed, add small amounts of dry ingredients and buttermilk mixture, alternating, beginning and ending with dry.
- Mix just until incorporated, scape sides of bowl, and mix for 15 seconds more.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake 18-20 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 211Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 5gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 66mgSodium 147mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 1gSugar 17gProtein 3g