If you are missing the warm and cozy comfort of a chicken pot pie in the Winter on a ketogenic diet, then you’re in luck! This Keto Chicken Pot Pie has all the flavor of the classic, but with only 7 net carbs per serving, it doesn’t pack the carb-loaded punch.
So what’s the trick to a keto chicken pot pie? Oh, just a little thing called Fathead dough! If you’ve never tried it before then you need to jump on that bandwagon ASAP! I was so skeptical when I first read the ingredient list. After all, how could a dough made of basically just cheese and almond flour be any good, and how would it not make you sick?
Lucky for me, my sister in law tried it and told me I was missing out. She was the driving force that got me hooked! So if this Fathead dough works so well for pizza crust, why not use it for a keto chicken pot pie?
Tips for making Fat Head Dough for Keto Chicken Pot Pie
I’ve been making this fathead dough for over a year now, and I know first hand that it can be a little bit tricky to get the hang of. It’s a little bit difficult to mix almond flour and egg into a warm melted cheese mixture. Here are some of the ways I make it easier on myself:
Mix the flour in first. Don’t try to mix the egg and flour into the melted cheese at the same time. Instead, try to knead the almond flour into the melted cheese mixture. I’ve also seen where other people have mixed the flour with the shredded cheese before microwaving. I have not personally tried this!
Use FINE almond flour. I prefer Bob’s Red Mill brand. Fine ground almond flour will mix in so much easier than coarse almond flour.
Make sure the egg is beaten before adding in. This will help the egg white mix into the dough a little bit easier.
Use a fork, then your hands. I find using a fork to sort of mash the egg into the mixture helps a lot! After I mix as best I can with the fork, I will gently coat my hands with a little bit of almond flour and mix the rest of the way. You can also wet your hands with water and it will help prevent the dough from sticking to your hands.
You must use parchment paper to roll out the dough! There’s no way around this. I’ve tried doing it on my silicone mats and it just doesn’t work. The dough is much too sticky!
Assembling the Keto Chicken Pot Pie
After preparing the fathead dough, divide it into two pieces. Roll out one piece between two pieces of parchment paper until it is roughly 2″ bigger all around than the bottom of the pie pan you’ll be using. The crust will be thin and almost see-through in spots. This is normal. Place it into the bottom of the pie pan and bake for about 6 minutes.
While that’s baking, roll out the other half of the fat head dough until it’s about 1/2″ wider all around than the top of the plate. Again, this will be thin. When the bottom is done baking, fill with the keto chicken pot pie filling.
Place the top crust over the filling, and pinch the edges to seal it up. Then cut slits in the middle using a knife for steam holes. Then it’s time to bake!
The keto chicken pot pie doesn’t take a long time to bake from here, only about 15 minutes. Just until the crust is golden brown and the top has a bit of browning as well. Let it cool for about 10 minutes before cutting into.
Short on time?
Here’s a quick tip: You could make this keto chicken pot pie with no crust! If you are looking for a warm and filling meal but only have 20 minutes, try making just the filling. Make it into a soup by adding a cup of chicken broth, or just enjoy it as is!
Looking for more keto friendly recipes?
- Mexican Chorizo Breakfast Skillet | Low Carb, Keto
- One Pot Cheesy Chicken and Zoodles
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup | Low Carb and Keto
- Cheesy Chicken Bacon Broccoli Bake | Low-Carb and Keto Friendly
Don’t forget to pin it!
Fat Head Crust
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup almond flour, super fine
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease an 8" pie pan. Set aside
Fat Head Crust
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine cheese and cream cheese. Microwave on high for 45 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir. Return to microwave and cook on high for 30 more seconds. Remove from microwave and stir until fully combined. Mixture should be soft and pliable.
- Stir in almond flour to cheese mixture. Mix as well as possible.
- Add in beaten egg and stir. It's helpful to use a fork for this and mix as well as possible.
- Coat outside of crust with a dusting of almond flour, or wet hands, and mix dough the rest of the way using your hands.
- Divide dough in half.
- Place one half of dough between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll out into circle about 2 inches larger than bottom of prepared pie pan (enough to cover bottom and sides)
- Roll out second half of dough the same way, making it 1/2" wider than the top of the pie plate.
- Keep both sections of dough in parchment paper and place in the fridge while filling is prepared.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter. Add in garlic and onion and saute until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in xanthan gum, salt and pepper, and heavy cream. Bring mixture to a low boil and immediately reduce heat. Keep stirring to ensure the cream does not scald
- Let mixture thicken slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in mixed vegetables and chicken. Let simmer for 5 minutes
- Remove pan from heat and stir in cheddar cheese.
- Place first dough (bottom) in the prepared pie dish and smooth out evenly. Bake for 6 -7 minutes until the edges are slightly hardened but not browned.
- Remove from oven. Spoon filling onto crust and level out.
- Carefully place top crust on the top of filling. Crimp the edges of the top crust sealing it off as best as possible. Be careful because the pie plate will be hot.
- Cut slits in the top of the crust towards the middle for steam and air to escape.
- Bake for another 15 minutes, or until the edges are browned and top is slightly hardened.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases made by clicking some links. I only recommend products I use personally.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 8 servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 392Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 113mgSodium 255mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 19g