Creamy and hearty Bacon Cheeseburger Soup you can make on the stovetop or in the slow cooker. It’s packed full of flavor AND a delicious low-carb alternative to the traditional soup.
My husband rarely raves about recipes I make, unless it’s his absolute favorite Italian beef. It’s not because what I make isn’t great, he just isn’t a picky eater. If something doesn’t strike his fancy he just pours on some extra hot sauce and adds cheese.
But this bacon cheeseburger soup is a different story. Yes, he still adds more cheese and hot sauce, but after making this soup once, he actually begged me to make it again. And I couldn’t help but comply. I love eating soups in the fall and winter!
We have had some pretty chilly evenings so far this fall, but I have downright refused to turn on our heat. I guess it’s mostly due to the fact that I just can’t believe it’s already time to kick on the furnace. This time last year I was still hanging out in Texas waiting for our home to sell. In fact, when I finally left Texas towards the end of November, I was still running the A/C!
Currently, as I write this, it’s a chilly 65 degrees in our house and last week it was even colder. Don’t get me wrong, I am so glad to live in an area that has all four seasons, I’m just not thankful when it comes to paying our gas bill. So I’m going to hold out on the furnace until I can’t possibly stand it anymore.
Thank goodness for this hearty keto bacon cheeseburger soup! It warms us up on super chilly evenings (like last night), and having the stove on helps heat up the house too. Now if only I had a low-carb bread recipe to go with it so I’d have an excuse to turn on our oven.
If you don’t want to make this soup on the stove, I’ve also included directions to make it in your slow cooker or Crock Pot. I’ve made it both ways and each time the bacon cheeseburger soup comes out amazing! And if you aren’t following a low-carb or keto diet, feel free to sub out the cauliflower for some diced potatoes!
What’s in Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Soup?
This recipe uses a creamy base that is packed with ground beef, bacon, carrots, pepper, onion, celery, and cauliflower. The xanthan gum, cheese, and heavy cream help thicken up the broth to keep this filling fall soup keto-friendly. You can absolutely add some pickles if that is your thing! If you aren’t worried about this soup staying low carb, go ahead and add some potatoes instead of cauliflower.
How to Make Bacon Cheeseburger Soup Low Carb in the Crock Pot
The recipe card below lays out how to make this cheeseburger and bacon soup on the stovetop, but you can also make this in a slow cooker. The soup comes together the same way, but all of the ingredients simmer together throughout the day in the Crock Pot, rather than on the stove. Then at the end of the cook time, whisk cream and xanthan gum together in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring it to a boil and then reduce heat. Stir until it thickens slightly. Add that mixture to the Crock Pot, and whisk in shredded cheese 1/4 cup at a time.
Looking for more low carb soup ideas? Check these out:
- Low Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Instant Pot Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Instant Pot Low Carb Pizza Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Mexican Chicken Soup
Don’t forget to pin it!
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tsp steak seasoning, or whatever spices you prefer
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pot or dutch oven, fry bacon. Drain off extra grease and set bacon aside on a paper towel.
- Place ground beef, garlic, seasoning, onion, and green pepper in the pot and cook until the ground beef is no longer pink. Again drain off excess fat and grease.
- Add in cauliflower, carrots, celery, and chicken broth. Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce to simmer, and cover the pot with a lid. Simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- In a small sauce pan, add heavy cream and whisk in xanthan gum. Bring mixture to a low boil and immediately reduce heat. When the mixture has thickened slightly, add it to the pot of soup and stir.
- Slowly add in shredded cheese 1/4 cup at a time and whisk to ensure it melts evenly. Adding the entire cup at once may cause the cheese to melt in clumps.
- Let the soup simmer for 10 more minutes until desired thickness.
***Adapted for Slow Cooker***
Cook bacon and ground beef as normal. Add cauliflower, celery, carrots, beef, bacon, and broth to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
30 minutes prior to serving: Turn off the slow cooker, and take inner pot of soup out of cooking device. In a small saucepan, add heavy cream and whisk in xanthan gum. Bring to a low boil and immediately reduce heat. When the mixture has thickened slightly, add it to the pot of soup and stir. Add in shredded cheese 1/4 cup at a time and mix well so it melts evenly.
Place the lid back on the pot, place the inner pot of soup back in slow cooker and let it cook on warm for another 15-20 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases made by clicking some links. I only recommend products I use personally.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving Calories 452Saturated Fat 21.45gCholesterol 139.89mgSodium 908.05mgCarbohydrates 7gNet Carbohydrates 4gFiber 3gSugar 2.16gProtein 28g