This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. Read our disclosure policy.
I love this easy and delicious low carb Zuppa Toscana soup! It has all of the flavor of the traditional Olive Garden recipe, without all the carbs.
Are you familiar with the ever popular Zuppa Toscana soup at Olive Garden? I have to admit, until I tried it I was convinced I would hate the soup. I thought that sausage in a soup was so weird and there was no possible way it could taste good. Some of the things I worry about are strange, I know, but once I actually tried the Zuppa Toscana I realized just what I had been missing out on. If you haven’t tried the real thing you really really should. Like it should be on your bucket list because the soup is just that good.
Anyway, since Olive Garden isn’t exactly on the list of keto friendly restaurants (hello pasta and breadsticks–I miss you), of course I absolutely needed to make a low carb version of Zuppa Toscana myself. I’ve actually been on this huge soup kick lately, trying to rework all of my favs (like this broccoli cheese soup) into low carb versions. Luckily I got this low carb Zuppa Toscana soup right on the very first try. I’ve since made it about a dozen times, and I think my husband loves it more than his favorite bacon cheeseburger soup.
Really what is there to not like about this soup? It’s loaded down with Italian sausage and instead of potatoes, it’s packed to the brim with cauliflower. It’s amazing how well cauliflower can take on the flavor of any dish it’s cooked in. It’s such a versatile little vegetable!
I prefer to use spinach instead of kale in my low carb Zuppa Toscana mostly because leftover kale will go to waste in our house. Kale is also higher in carbs than spinach believe it or not, so leaving it out of this recipe makes the carb count even more appealing!
With only 3 net carbs per serving, you can definitely indulge in this low carb soup and not feel guilty at all! Now if only there was such a thing as a perfect Olive Garden breadsticks copy in low carb form. Hey a girl can dream right?
More delicious low carb recipes
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
- Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole
- Cauliflower Rice
- Low Carb Chicken Skillet | C’mon Get Crafty
Love this? Pin it for later!
Low Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup Recipe
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion finely diced
- 1 lb italian sausage
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 2 cups cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and sausage and cook until sausage is brown and crumbled about 10 minutes. Drain fat and set aside.
- While sausage is cooking, in a large pot or dutch oven, bring chicken broth to a boil. Add in cauliflower, bacon and italian seasoning. Cook until cauliflower is fork tender about 15 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream, cooked sausage and kale (or spinach). Let soup simmer until slightly thickened and kale is cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Calories: 438
- Fat: 40g
- Total Carbs: 4g
- Fiber: 1g
- Net Carbs: 3g
- Protein: 15g