This simple low carb creamy Mexican chicken soup is packed full of flavor and is ready in no time with an Instant Pot!
Soup is our favorite thing to make in the cold Winter months. There’s nothing like holding a warm bowl of soup in your hands when it’s freezing outside! This low carb version of a creamy Mexican chicken soup has quickly become one of our absolute favorites! The best part is, the recipe is made effortless with our 6 qt. Instant Pot!
I can eat Mexican food any and every day of the week, so this soup never disappoints me. It’s full of spicy, zesty Mexican flavor, yet it’s still creamy and filling! Great for a simple delicious dinner recipe.
What to serve with low carb Creamy Mexican Chicken Soup?
I typically serve this Instant Pot soup with my favorite homemade low carb tortilla chips. Crumble some up to add on top of your soup, or eat them as a side dish to dip in some salsa! Another favorite is adding a helping of cauliflower rice to our Mexican chicken soup. Not only is it DELISH, but it really helps bulk up the soup! We always top our low carb soup with avocado slices, sour cream and some crumbled Cojita cheese for extra flavor!
More Instant Pot and Soup Recipes:
- 15+ Instant Pot Dinner Recipes
- Instant Pot Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Instant Pot Low Carb Pizza Soup
- Low Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup | Low Carb and Keto
Don’t forget to pin it!
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thawed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 medium jalapeno, diced with seeds removed
- 1 10oz can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- Sour cream, avocado, cojita cheese, for serving
- Low Carb Tortilla Chips, for serving
To cook the chicken
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin and chili powder.
- Place provided trivet in the bottom of a 6 qt. Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker. Add 1 1/2 cups of water (or the minimum amount of liquid needed for cooking in your specific pressure cooker)
- Place chicken breasts in the Instant Pot on top of the trivet. Lock the lid, turn venting valve to the sealing position.
- Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Natural release 5 minutes, quick release the remainder.
- Remove chicken from the Instant Pot onto a plate. Shred chicken with two forks and set aside.
- Reserve 1 cup of liquid from the Instant Pot, discard the rest *if desired--can use 1 cup more of chicken broth later in the recipe*
For the soup
- Select the saute function on the Instant Pot and add 2 tbsp butter to the pot to melt.
- When melted, add in the minced garlic and onion. Saute until fragrant and onion is slightly softened.
- Add in the celery, jalapeno and carrots and saute a minute more.
- Pour in the can of diced tomatoes and green chiles with liquid and deglaze the bottom of the pot to prevent burning (scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pot).
- Turn off the saute function by hitting cancel.
- Stir in the cooked chicken, chicken broth and 1 cup of reserved liquid from cooking chicken (or add an extra cup of chicken broth)
- Place the lid onto the Instant and Pot and turn the valve to sealing position. Select the Soup/Stew function and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When finished cooking, let the Instant Pot natural release for 5 minutes, then quick release the rest of the way.
- Stir in cubed cream cheese and heavy cream. Whisk until the cream cheese has melted and incorporated into the soup
- Serve topped with sour cream, avocado slices, cojita cheese and low carb tortilla chips!
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 367.91Total Fat 28.07gSaturated Fat 15.93gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 124.93mgSodium 764.49mgCarbohydrates 11.67gFiber 1.33gSugar 4.65gProtein 17.84g