Get all the flavor of a delicious pizza without the heavy crust with this flavorful Instant Pot Low Carb Pizza Soup. You can have dinner ready in just a few minutes!
In our house we eat some form of pizza every other week. Up until recently, we were using fat head dough to make our pizzas. The fat head dough makes a great pizza crust and is really tasty. But we were craving something different, like this instant pot low carb pizza soup.
I’ve tried the cauliflower crust for pizza and it just isn’t for me. It never seems to crisp up, unless I make it paper thin, and even then the edges almost burn but the center stays soggy. Maybe I just haven’t found the right recipe. Either way, I was searching for a new way to enjoy our pizza tradition.
It’s been an extreme Winter here in the Midwest, so my husband and I have been eating a lot of soup. When I was trying to come up with a new way to enjoy pizza without the crust and without the high carbs, that’s when the idea of a low carb pizza soup came to mind.
Of course I’ve been making everything in our Instant Pot since we bought it around Thanksgiving, but you can easily make this soup in the Crock Pot as well. I’ve included the super simple instructions on the recipe card below.
Before you jump to the recipe, make sure you read these super helpful tips and ideas for making your own low carb pizza soup.
Tips for making Instant Pot Low Carb Pizza Soup
- Using the mini pepperonis makes prep time less since you won’t be dicing up the greasy pepperoni slices.
- To save time, prep the veggies while the Italian sausage cooks.
- You can sub the tomato paste for 1/2 cup plain tomato sauce or pizza sauce, but note that tomato paste has more tomato flavor and helps thicken the soup just slightly.
- Feel free to add whatever toppings your heart desires to your pizza soup! We like to add mushrooms, jalapeños and bacon, but you might like olives and Canadian bacon. You could also do 1/2 ground hamburger and 1/2 Italian sausage instead.
- Stick some pepperonis under the broiler for a few minutes while the low carb pizza soup is cooking. Then use them as a “chip” to top your soup with. You could also do this with cheese!
- Don’t skimp on topping your pizza soup with shredded mozzarella. That’s probably the best part!
More low carb soup recipes
- Instant Pot Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Low Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup | Low Carb and Keto
- Healthy Vegetable Beef Soup
Don’t forget to pin it for later!
Instant Pot Low Carb Pizza Soup
- 1 lb italian sausage or ground beef, seasoned with Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup green onion diced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup pepperoni diced (or use minis)
- 1 cup bacon crumbled
- 4 cups beef broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 small can black olives optional
- 1 small can jalapeno optional
- 1 small can sliced mushrooms optional
- 1/2 cup pepperoncinis drained, optional
- 4 oz cream cheese cubed
- shredded mozzarella for garnish
- extra pepperoni for garnish
- Add olive oil to inner pot of Instant Pot and select saute mode
- When oil is heated, add onion, garlic and italian sausage to pot. Cook until sausage is no longer pink, and crumbled.
- Drain excess fat from pot.
- Add rest of the ingredients, minus cream cheese and garnishes, to the inner pot of the Instant Pot and stir well. Replace and lock lid and turn valve to sealed position.
- Select soup setting, normal pressure, and cook for 10 minutes. It will take the pot 10-15 minutes to reach pressure before cooking time starts.
- When finished cooking, let natural release for 10 minutes, then release the rest of the pressure by flipping valve to venting.
- Leave pot on keep warm mode and remove lid. Stir in cubed cream cheese until melted and incorporated into pizza soup. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Serve warm, garnish with mozzarella cheese and extra pepperonis if desired.
Making in the Slow Cooker?
- Follow the same instructions for browning the sausage, but do so on the stove top. Drain excess fat.
- Add all ingredients minus the cream cheese and garnishes to the pot of the Slow Cooker.
- Place lid on top and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
- 30 minutes before serving, add cubed cream cheese to pot and allow to melt. Stir to incorporate.
- Serve warm with cheese and extra pepperoni for garnish.