This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. Read our disclosure policy.
Quick and easy recipe for microwave cooked carrots. Perfect for a last-minute side dish you can have on the table in less than 10 minutes.
I have a super quick and easy recipe for you! My life has been in chaos for the last 2 weeks straight, so I haven’t had time to really plan out meals, and we were also trying to clean out our fridge and pantry before moving.
These easy microwave carrots are the perfect quick side dish you can throw together in a pinch. If you are like me, you ALWAYS have carrots on hand, and the other ingredients are just household staples.
How to Cook Carrots in the Microwave
You’ll need 5-6 large carrots, peeled and washed. I recommend slicing the carrots into 1/2″ rounds to cook evenly in the microwave. It should be around 4 cups of sliced carrots.
Place the carrots, 3 tablespoons of butter, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a microwave-safe bowl.
Stir everything together. Microwave on high, uncovered for 2 minutes. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir again to incorporate the melted butter and brown sugar. Microwave again for another 2 minutes. Check the doneness of the carrot slices. If they are not finished, continue microwaving at 1-minute intervals until the carrots are fork-tender.
These cooked carrots are incredibly simple to make. The butter cooks them while the brown sugar gives the carrots a little caramelization. The garlic and smoked paprika is a nice added flavor boost.
What to Serve With Microwaved Carrots
You can serve cooked carrots with just about any entree. We typically have microwaved carrots with pork dishes, but will also serve with beef. Here a few recipe ideas to serve cooked carrots with:
- Baked Breaded Pork Chops
- Delicious Crock Pot Pork Roast
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Crock Pot Italian Beef
- Braised Beef Short Ribs
- Skillet Bourbon Steak
Frequently Asked Questions
More easy side dish recipes:
- Oven Roasted Zucchini
- Easy Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Easy Oven Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole | Low-Carb, Keto
Don’t Forget to Pin it!
Easy Cooked Carrots
- 5-6 carrots about 4 cups
- 3 tbsps butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Wash, peel, and chop the carrots into approximately 1/2" rounds.
- Place the carrots in a microwave-safe bowl with brown sugar, butter, and seasonings.
- Microwave the carrots on high, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes, or until fork-tender. You will want to stop half way through cook time to stir up the melted butter and brown sugar.
- Microwave at additional 1-minute intervals until the carrots reach your desired softness.