Simple ingredients and full of flavor, this low carb cheeseburger casserole will be your family’s new favorite ground beef recipe.
Our new favorite go to low carb dinner recipe is this simple to make, low carb bacon cheeseburger casserole. Hubby is a huge casserole fan because he loves to just have a big pile of food that he can dig into. It’s easier than having a slice of meat he’s got to cut up, or separate veggies to dig through. Truth be told, he generally makes everything I cook look like a big casserole on his plate by the time he dishes everything out.
I like casseroles because they are so easy. Usually there is a small amount of cooking done that I have to babysit. After that you just throw the ingredients in a casserole, put it in the oven, set a timer and walk away. That’s my kind of dinner, so I’m perfectly happy to add this low carb bacon cheeseburger casserole to our monthly rotation!
Tips for making Low Carb Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole
- Chopping the broccoli and cauliflower into smaller pieces helps them bake more evenly in the oven. Take it one step further and rice the cauliflower/broccoli and reduce the baking time by 10 minutes.
- Cauliflower may release some water while it cooks in the casserole dish. It’s essential to let the hamburger casserole rest for 5 minutes after baking to “soak up” some of that moisture.
- Cut the cooking time down by cooking the bacon in the oven while it preheats. Place it on a foil lined baking sheet and pop that in the oven when you preheat. After about 15 minutes the bacon is cooked, and you can make the cheeseburger filling during that time.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to a week. I have not personally tried freezing this cheeseburger casserole, but I would imagine it should freeze OK in a freezer safe container AFTER it’s cooked. Just simply pop it in the oven or microwave when reheating.
What to serve with this low carb cheeseburger casserole
The beauty of this low carb casserole is that it really is a one dish meal! You don’t NEED to serve anything else with it if you don’t want to. But if you are looking for some ideas on what could compliment this cheeseburger casserole, here are a few things that come to mind:
- Pickles–because a cheeseburger is never complete without pickles. You could even fancy up this ground beef casserole recipe by adding some pickle slices to the top!
- Cottage Cheese–my husband eats cottage cheese with EVERYTHING. It’s a simple no fuss side dish to enjoy with this bacon cheeseburger casserole
- Low carb tortilla chips–You could change out the seasonings for something more fitting to go with a cheeseburger. I’m thinking everything bagel seasoning!
- Keto Bread Rolls–I’ve tried these and they are by far our favorite keto rolls!
- Pork Rinds–The Aldi brand hot ‘n’ spicy are our favorite!
More like this:
- Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken Bacon Broccoli Bake
- Baked Chicken and Vegetables
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
Don’t forget to pin it for later!
- 5 strips bacon
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp burger or steak seasoning, or seasonings of choice
- 1 cup red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 cups cauliflower, finely diced
- 1 cup broccoli, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 and prepare a 9x9 glass baking dish.
- In a large non stick skillet, cook bacon until just done. Place on a paper towel lined plate and set aside to cool. Discard most of the grease from the pan.
- Using the same pan, brown ground beef seasoned with burger or steak seasoning. You can substitute your own favorite seasonings here.
- When ground beef is cooked, drain off most of the grease and return to pan to the stove.
- Add garlic and onion to pan and saute with cooked beef for about 1 minute.
- Stir in tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and crumbled bacon. Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Mixture will thicken slightly.
- Add chopped broccoli and cauliflower to prepared baking dish and mix in 1 cup of shredded cheese. Pour beef mixture on top, and gently toss to combine with the cheese and vegetables.
- Top casserole with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
- If desired, broil on high for 1-2 minutes for a bubbly, slightly browned cheese topping.
- Let casserole cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
Serving Size:6 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 430 Saturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 95mg Sodium: 432mg Carbohydrates: 11g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 5g Protein: 25g