Only one pan, 30 minutes and a few ingredients needed to whip up this creamy, chili lime skillet chicken dinner. Serve the chicken over rice with your favorite vegetable and dinner is served!
This post was first published April 2017 and has since been updated.
One pot or one pan meals are the best thing for dinner! Next to the Instant Pot or Crock Pot, you just can’t get any easier when it comes to getting dinner on the table fast on busy weeknights. One of our favorite one pot dinners to make is this flavorful and filling chili lime skillet chicken. The chicken is heavily seasoned with cumin, chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper, bathed in lime juice and seared to perfection.
After searing the chicken on both sides, the one pot skillet dinner is transformed by adding in heavy cream, sour cream and cheese to create a creamy and delicious sauce to bath the chili lime chicken in.
I’ve made several variations of this dish, but my favorite is the chili lime. Those flavors go together so nicely and work great with just about any vegetable side. It’s full on asparagus season, so it’s hands down my favorite vegetable to smother in the leftover creamy chili lime sauce, but broccoli is a close second.
For a keto friendly and low carb option, we also love eating chili lime skillet chicken dinner with a hefty portion of cauliflower rice. You could opt for regular steamed rice too if the keto diet isn’t your thing!
Tips for making One Pot Chili Lime Skillet Chicken Recipe
- Sear the chicken on high heat on both sides to really lock in the seasonings and flavor.
- Fresh lime juice is the most flavorful and isn’t full of added preservatives, but bottled lime juice will work in a pinch.
- You can lighten up the fat content a bit (if you aren’t on keto) by searing the chicken in olive oil.
- Substituting half and half for the heavy cream will cut back on fat, but the sauce will not thicken as much. Cut back a bit on the chicken broth, and add a bit of extra shredded cheese to help it thicken more.
- You can substitute chicken breasts for boneless thighs, but the cooking times will vary.
- There is no right or wrong type of cheese to use, but it must be shredded. To keep it simple, I will use a sharp cheddar or Colby jack blend to compliment the lime flavor.
What to serve with this easy chicken dinner
- Easy Oven Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Simple Oven Roasted Zucchini
- Cauliflower Rice
- Easy Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Steamed Rice
- Cheesy Crispy Baked Asparagus | DIY Adulation
More easy one pot dinner ideas:
- One Pot Cheesy Chicken and Zoodles
- One Pot Beef and Broccoli
- One Pot Sausage Spinach Pasta
- One Pot Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
Don’t forget to pin it for later!
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder, (more or less to taste)
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 tbsp lime juice, (about 1 medium lime)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, (or half and half)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Pound chicken breasts until they are even in thickness, about 3/4" thick
- In a small bowl, combine spices. Rub seasonings on both sides of the chicken breasts.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, onion and saute for 1-2 minutes untill fragrant.
- Add chicken and 1 tbsp of lime juice to pan, and sear for about 5 minutes each side. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside on a plate.
- Pour chicken broth in pan and scrape brown bits off the bottom of pan to deglaze. Stir in lime juice and heavy cream.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a low boil stirring constantly to make sure cream does not scald or burn to the bottom. Once boil starts, reduce heat and continue stirring until sauce has slightly thickened.
- Once thickened, whisk in shredded cheese and sour cream.
- Return chicken breasts to pan, cover and cook on low until chicken is completely cooked through, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice or with vegetable of choice.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 4 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 439Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 157mgSodium 465mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 42g