A slow cooker version of this hearty cheddar beer soup that’s packed full of sharp cheddar flavor, bacon, and beer. The perfect meal for a cool fall or winter evening. For a vegetarian option, omit the bacon.
This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. Read our disclosure policy.
I have been trying to perfect this Slow Cooker Cheddar Beer soup ever since trying it for the first time at a brewery/restaurant with my mom and sister-in-law a few years ago. It was in the middle of summer, but that soup just called to me from the menu. And boy am I so glad I decided to try it, it was SO GOOD.
Their beer cheese soup was lick the bottom of the bowl good! And believe me, I was SO tempted to do just that. I refrained though, because I had just met my sister-in-law, and I was in a public place. I’m also an adult. Man, being an adult can really blow sometimes.
Either way, I think I have finally gotten my version of their beer cheese soup down so that’s why I am sharing my recipe with you. Make this cheddar beer soup in a Crock Pot for a crazy simple meal. I recommend using freshly shredded cheese if you can, but if you only have pre-shredded cheese available it will still work. Add it to the soup slowly, stirring well, so the cheese doesn’t become one big clump in the beer cheese soup.
Whats in Beer Cheese Soup?
This slow cooker cheddar beer soup has chicken broth, beer, bacon, onion, celery, carrots, seasonings, and of course CHEESE (and lots of it). You can see the whole recipe below, but that is the gist of it. You could make this beer cheese soup vegetarian by leaving out the bacon.
Making this in a slow cooker is a lifesaver! I love to let this soup cook all day on a weeknight or even a weekend, and it smells so good!
More Soup Recipes to Try:
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup | Low Carb and Keto
- Healthy Vegetable Beef Soup
- Loaded Potato Soup
- Creamy Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup
Don’t forget to pin it for later!
Slow Cooker Cheddar Beer Soup
- 4 cups Chicken stock
- 12 oz beer use whatever you prefer
- 1 cup finely diced carrots
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 5 strips bacon crumbled
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese*
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In the bowl of a large slow cooker, place chicken stock, beer, carrots, celery, onion, spices, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 2 hours.
- Stir in bacon, cheese* (see note below), and heavy cream. Once the cheese is melted, whisk in cornstarch.
- Let the soup cook for 15-20 minutes until the soup thickens some. If you like it creamy, use an immersion or regular blender to mix it.
- Serve cheddar beer soup with croutons, crusty bread, or in bread bowls.