A slow cooker version of this hearty cheddar beer soup that’s packed full of sharp cheddar flavor, bacon, and beer. The perfect meal for a cool fall or winter evening. For a vegetarian option, omit the bacon.
I have been trying to perfect this Slow Cooker Cheddar Beer soup ever since trying it for the first time at a brewery/restaurant with my mom and sister-in-law a few years ago. It was in the middle of summer, but that soup just called to me from the menu. And boy am I so glad I decided to try it, it was SO GOOD.
Their beer cheese soup was lick the bottom of the bowl good! And believe me, I was SO tempted to do just that. I refrained though, because I had just met my sister-in-law, and I was in a public place. I’m also an adult. Man, being an adult can really blow sometimes.
Either way, I think I have finally gotten my version of their beer cheese soup down so that’s why I am sharing my recipe with you. Make this cheddar beer soup in a Crock Pot for a crazy simple meal. I recommend using freshly shredded cheese if you can, but if you only have pre-shredded cheese available it will still work. Add it to the soup slowly, stirring well, so the cheese doesn’t become one big clump in the beer cheese soup.
Whats in Beer Cheese Soup?
This slow cooker cheddar beer soup has chicken broth, beer, bacon, onion, celery, carrots, seasonings, and of course CHEESE (and lots of it). You can see the whole recipe below, but that is the gist of it. You could make this beer cheese soup vegetarian by leaving out the bacon.
Making this in a slow cooker is a lifesaver! I love to let this soup cook all day on a weeknight or even a weekend, and it smells so good!
More Soup Recipes to Try:
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup | Low Carb and Keto
- Healthy Vegetable Beef Soup
- Loaded Potato Soup
- Creamy Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup
Don’t forget to pin it for later!
- 4 cups Chicken stock
- 12 oz beer (use whatever you prefer)
- 1 cup finely diced carrots
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 5 strips bacon, crumbled
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese*
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In the bowl of a large slow cooker, place chicken stock, beer, carrots, celery, onion, spices, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 2 hours.
- Stir in bacon, cheese* (see note below), and heavy cream. Once the cheese is melted, whisk in cornstarch.
- Let the soup cook for 15-20 minutes until the soup thickens some. If you like it creamy, use an immersion or regular blender to mix it.
- Serve cheddar beer soup with croutons, crusty bread, or in bread bowls.
* I recommend shredding your own cheese, but if you only have pre-shredded cheese, add it in 1/4 cup at a time where it says in the instructions. Otherwise it will all melt together and become one big cheese blob. Although blobs of cheese are generally yummy, you won't want it in this soup. Promise.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases made by clicking some links. I only recommend products I use personally.
Nutrition InformationYield 7 Serving Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g