Healthy Vegetable Beef Soup
A healthier, low sodium version of everyone’s favorite Vegetable Beef soup. You can make this on the stove top or in a slow cooker.
I love eating soups in the Winter time. Unfortunately for me, we haven’t seen much of “Winter” here in South Texas. With most of our daily highs in the 70’s-80’s, it hasn’t exactly been the type of weather that begs for warm soups. But, that hasn’t stopped me when it comes to this Healthy Vegetable Beef Soup.
Since January 1st, I’ve made this soup 3 times! My husband loves it and the leftovers never last long. It pairs well with homemade crusty bread, or just plain ol’ Saltine crackers. Plus, it’s not packed full of sodium or fat!
Most recipes I’ve come across for vegetable beef soup have called for a packet of French onion soup mix. Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with making it that way, but my husband and I like to avoid excess sodium and processed foods. So instead of going the traditional route, I’ve been playing around with my own healthier version of vegetable beef soup.
I’ve told you in the past how I have texture issues, and for me tomatoes are the number one culprit. I love the taste of tomatoes, but I absolutely cannot stand having chunks of tomatoes in my food. That’s why in this recipe I used a can of tomato sauce rather than diced tomatoes. Feel free to substitute if you are into gross things like chunks of tomatoes.
Check out some of my other favorite soup recipes:
- Creamy Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup
- Loaded Potato Soup
- Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
- Slow Cooker Cheddar Beer Soup
Healthy Vegetable Beef Soup
A healthier, low sodium version of everyone's favorite Vegetable Beef soup. Cook on the stove top or in a slow cooker.
- 1 lb boneless beef, , cut into cubes (I used thin flank steaks and cut them into cubes)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 4 cups Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 1 14 oz can Tomato Sauce, (can sub for diced tomatoes, undrained)
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add in cubed beef and cook until browned. Drain excess fat.
- Lower heat and add in beef broth, tomato sauce, vegetables and seasonings. Combine well.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and let soup simmer covered until vegetables are cooked through, about 30 minutes.
***Recipe can be adapted for a slow cooker. Follow the first step of browning the beef, then add beef and ingredients to the pot of a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
Adapted from Better Homes and Garden Cookbook
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g
This soup looks really good! Can you substitute fresh vegetables for the frozen?
Hi Leslie, I’m sure you could sub fresh for the frozen veggies just fine!
Easy beautiful soup – love it! Thanks for linking up with us at #FoodieFriDIY!
Thank you for stopping by Debra!
This looks really good. Perfect for those cold days!
Thanks Lindsey. We are kind of addicted to it!