Some of you know it as muddy buddies, but I’ve always referred to the delicious chocolatey, peanut buttery, powderey chex goodness as puppy chow.
As a kid, I remember my mom making puppy chow in huge batches as a treat in the summertime. She always saved the large ice cream tubs and would store the large quantities in those.
My favorite was finding a large chunk of the chex pieces that were stuck together and coated solid in the chocolate and peanut butter mix.
Puppy chow is something I’ve continued to make as an adult. It’s so quick and easy to throw together and you just can’t beat the blend of flavors.
For this recipe, I mixed things up a bit by using white chocolate chips and adding in some holiday cheer with red and green M&M’s®.
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 7 cups rice chex cereal
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup holiday M&M's
- In a large microwaveable bowl, melt chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in the microwave at 30 second intervals until completely smooth. Be sure to stir well between each interval.
- In a large bowl place rice chex cereal.
- Pour melted chocolate over cereal and stir carefully until all cereal is coated.
- In a gallon size ziploc bag, pour 1 cup powdered sugar. Add coated cereal by the spoonful until bag is 3/4 full. Add in 1 more cup powdered sugar, and seal bag completely. Toss and shake bag around until cereal is coated in powdered sugar.
- Pour coated cereal into a clean bowl, and then repeat above process with the remaining cereal.
- Once all cereal is coated in powdered sugar, stir in M&M's.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge.